Sunday, May 23, 2010

BUS TOUR - PART ONE

I signed up for a one day bus tour
with my church.
This was my first bus tour,
and I was excited.
In this post, I will show pics
of our first stop at
Pocahontas Exhibition Mine,
a National Historic Landmark
in Pocahontas, VA.
It was the first mine in the
Pocahontas coalfield,
opened in 1882.
The mine operated for 73 years
and produced 44 million tons of coal.

Below, we are entering the mine.


Here, you can see that the coal vane is over 10 ft. high.


The next pic is of a section of the roof,
showing what I think are called roof bolts.


Shown here is machinery that was used in the mine.


This is another section of the roof.
At about center of the pic, is what the guide
said to be a fossil of a fish.
Can you see it?


Below is a loaded coal car.


This is one of the hand tools used to drill holes.



It was a very interesting tour of the historic
Pocahontas Exhibition Mine.


Below, we are loading up to move to our next stop.


After loading up, the driver drove us around a part of
the town showing buildings that are in the process of
being restored on the outside to look like they
originally did in the 1800's.
From there, we headed for Bramwell, WV.

Watch for my next post.

2 comments:

Dee said...

I have always wanted to take a bus trip. I think traveling in a group would be fun. Thanks for sharing.

Twisted Fencepost said...

Interesting!
I've never been inside a coal mine before.
That fish fossil is neat.
I'll have to go on a coal mine tour sometime.

Related Posts with Thumbnails